"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven." ~Matthew 5:16 (ESV)

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Contentedness

Tonight I had a startling revelation: I am content. When I was at my cell group, my friends asked what specific needs I have that they can pray for. I couldn't think of anything! It took awhile, but I finally came up with, "Well, I guess you could pray that I get a little better at time management." I'm not writing this to brag, but to show how God can change our perception.

I live in a tiny Korean studio apartment. I do not have a dryer - my clothes hang to dry! I don't have an oven either. My cooking is done on a little two-burner gas stove. My kitchen sink has a stubborn clog that I can't seem to fix on my own. I don't own a car, I don't have a bathtub (my entire bathroom converts into a shower), and I don't have a Wii. I have a very small wardrobe. I have very few pairs of shoes. I'm content.

According to Hollywood and commercials on TV, I need a closet full of stylish clothes, a killer body (don't have that either), perfect skin, hundreds of shoes, the latest appliances, and of course, a sleek car that does everything from telling me where to go, to burping me. According to the media, I should be miserable right now. I don't have nearly enough money, jewelry, or licquer to fit their definition of happiness. I know a lot of people who would agree that all these things are necessary for one to be happy.

Notice how everyone is striving to be happy, but few give any thought to being content. Happiness is fleeting, and it gets harder and harder to attain with the more things you acquire, since enough is never enough. Contentedness, on the other hand, means finding joy in what you already have, and realizing that your needs are met. It is living without constantly thinking about wants. Sure they exist (I really want pretzils, but can't find them anywhere in Korea), but the wants are not what drives you when you strive for contentment.

I don't ever want to be rich. I am already far richer than I deserve to be, and I am perfectly content. God looks after me, and all my needs are met. I don't need a house, a car, or designer labels on my clothing. I just need Him - and He's right here.

You know the best thing about contentendness? It breeds true happiness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephanie - I found your blog by Googling the words "Contentedness" and "Christian". I conducted that search because I am never content about anything, even though I know I am in direct conflict with God's Word and I'm at a point where I need to be reoriented with what matters.

I'm 43, have two levels of degrees, a lower six figure job that I am in no danger of losing (but hate), a large home in an upscale upper-middle class neighborhood, a 401K, a new pickup truck (I live in Texas) and all manners of electronic toys. I have survived adversity and even a short bout with cancer.

However, in spite of God's rich blessing in my life, I am less happy than I was when I was fresh out of college at your age, with not much more than an apartment and living check to check. I was a police officer at that time and enjoyed serving others, as you are now doing with your teaching.

At this point in my life, I am searching for simple contentedness in my heart and some way to stop feeling so burdened and bogged down in the general misery of life. I obviously need to be more grateful for what the Lord has blessed me with, but it is easy to succumb to the constant barrage of materialistic messages from Hollywood, TV, my neighborhood, et. al.

My point is that when you start to obtain some of the possessions, none of it means much. By my evaluation of your writing, you seem to have the key to contentedness. Don't lose it because it will fade away like the seasons if you let it.

It seems to me that contentedness comes from serving God by serving His people. Bless you in what you do.

Steph said...

You're there... and I happy for you!! I was hoping you would find me in the land of the contented and you did!! So happy... I miss you!!